Looking for some great toys to keep kids entertained on long road trips? Toy Insider Senior Editor Marissa DiBartolo stopped by Better Connecticut in New Haven to talk about some of the top travel toys of the summer. For more on the items featured in this segment, check out the product notes below.
SMOOSHY MUSHY SERIES 3 CREAMERY (REDWOODVENTURES)
- The slow rising fun keeps growing, just in time for summer!
- Enjoy some tasty ice cream-themed treats with Smooshy Mushy Series 3 Creamery.
- Open to find some sweet surprises. Unwrap the container to find out which adorable, scented pets and bestie you received!
- Collect all eight to uncover the squishy surprises.
- Age: 6+
- MSRP: $9.99
- Available: May
SQUEEZAMALS (BEVERLY HILLS TEDDY BEAR CO.)
- Squeezamals are super soft and ultra squishy scented plush.
- Combines on-trend, foam, squish toys and accessories, soft, high-quality, detailed plush, and adorable stylizing.
- There are more than 36 cute characters to collect, including narwhals, unicorns, penguins, and puppies.
- Squeezamals come in three sizes: Backpack clip at 2.25 inches, Core Squeezamals at 3.5 inches, and Large Squeezamals at 8 inches.
- Age: 6+
- MSRP: Backpack clip $3.99 / Core Squeezamals $7.99 / Large Squeezamals $14.99
- Available: Amazon
VARIOUS CARD GAMES (WINNING MOVES GAMES)
- Perfect for families, friends, and parties, Winning Moves Card Games are great fun for all ages.
- Pictureka! Card Game – There are four different ways to play and they vary in pace from the high-energy “Alphabetti” to the calmer “Matchureka!” The cunning “Cow’s Creative Combo” will give the creative side of your brain a workout, while the “8-Away” race game will have players in an all-out frenzy. (For ages 6+)
- Monopoly the Card Game – Take the fun of Monopoly the board game and the familiar gameplay of Rummy and you’ve got Monopoly The Card Game! Players draw and trade cards to try and build the most valuable hand of Monopoly cards before any other player can do so. Property cards, Token cards, House and Hotel cards, Free Parking, Go, and Wild (Mr. Monopoly) cards will add to your payoff! (For ages 8+)
- Clue Suspect Card Game – A true Clue experience is “in the cards” with the Clue Suspect Card Game. Use your hand of cards to determine the suspect, weapon, and location of the crime. Ask questions until you’re ready to zero in on your targets and make an accusation. The first player to solve the crime wins! (For ages 8+)
- Ages: 6-8+
- MSRP: $10.95 (each sold separately)
- Available: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and specialty toy & game stores nationwide
AVENGERS AND BLACK PANTHER KID-SAFE HEADPHONES (EKIDS)
- Sleek and contemporary designed headphones that deliver detailed rich audio.
- Padded and adjustable headband for custom fit.
- Includes in-line microphone compatible with most mobile devices.
- Available in Avengers and Black Panther designs.
- Age: 5+
- MSRP: $24.99
- Available: August 2018
- Go on an exciting adventure while building reading and vocabulary skills and learning how to share in the Peppa Pig Playing Together storybook for LeapStart.
- This interactive book includes reading comprehension activities that let readers predict what happens next, explore the details of the story, and then recall what they’ve read when they’re done.
- While inspiring a love of reading, the story will teach important life skills like how to share and play well together by reading about Peppa Pig, her friends, and family.
- Kids will also learn good manners like saying, “please,” “thank you,” “you’re welcome,” “please pass the,” “excuse me,” and more through interactive games.
- They can use the LeapStart stylus to read the story or have it read to them, explore each page, and complete the replayable activities.
- Age: 2-5 years
- MSRP: $12.99
- Available: Spring 2018
CLASSIC COLORFORMS PICTURE PANELS PLAY SETS (KAHOOTZ)
- Kids can mix and match more than 150 Colorforms pieces to create endless settings, then re-stick the shapes to imagine new stories over and over again!
- Fun re-stickable shapes and pieces make it easy for little fingers to create their own creatures, vehicles, and scenes.
- Two-in-one double-sided Picture Panels have colorful play scenes on one side and puzzles on the other. Magnetic panels even stick to the refrigerator for added fun. The sturdy storage box doubles as a 3D play tray. Connect and stand the panels to expand the colorful scenes!
- Titles available now: Animals and Vehicles (sold separately). NEW titles: House, Food, School, and Town.
- Age: 3+
- MSRP: $24.99
- Available: Amazon, Specialty toy stores in the U.S. and Canada
- Gamers of all ages can play in style with the New Nintendo 2DS XL system. It gives kids the power of the New Nintendo 3DS XL system in a streamlined, affordable package, and plays a huge library of games in 2D.
- New look and ergonomic design. Colorful accents add style, while the sleek clamshell design makes it comfortable to hold.
- 82 percent larger XL screens compared to the Nintendo 2DS system.
- Lightweight, yet powerful. A fast processor offers short loading times, so kids can start playing in a snap. And it’s all in a lightweight, play-anywhere package.
- Built-in amiibo support. Tape an amiibo figure to the near-field communication (NFC) reader on the lower screen to enjoy amiibo features in acompatible games. Get bonus items or content, customize your character, and more when you use amiibo figures (like Mario!) with compatible games.
- Kids can play all Nintendo 3DS, New Nintedo 3DS, and most Nintendo DS games in 2D on this system.
- The C Stick brings enhanced controls, like intuitive camera control, to compatible games, while ZL and ZR buttons give plenty of options.
- Games, amiibo and system sold separately.
- MSRP: $149.99