Looking for the hottest new toys of the summer? Toy Insider Mom Laurie Schacht stopped by CP24 in Toronto to show off some of the season’s best new toys and games for kids of all ages. For more on the products featured in this segment, check out the notes below, and for more on the hottest new toys of the season be sure to view our Spring and Summer Toy Guide.
- With the ability to build anything from a pirate ship that lets you sail the seven seas, to a castle that protects you from invading dragons, or a ball pit that lets you achieve your gold medal swimming dreams, each kit encourages active and limitless play
- Easy-to-assemble, high quality Snap and Click poles and connectors allow kids to build each kit with the help of a friend or family member
- Kits come in small, medium, and large sizes, and there are whimsical corresponding fabric covers that fit each size.
- With each kit purchased, Antsy Pants helps KaBOOM! build playgrounds for kids living in poverty across America
- Age: 3+
- MSRP: $13.86-$110.99
- Available: Target
Rube Goldberg Challenges (Spin Master)
- Rube Goldberg is the world of hilarious inventions where you build a wacky chain reaction of contraptions to complete a challenge!
- For kids with a knack for inventing, the Rube Goldberg playsets from Wonderology are inspired by the famous American cartoonist & inventor, best known for his hilarious and complex contraptions devised to perform simple tasks.
- The playsets let kids discover and learn about STEM-based principles of building the contraptions to seek the challenge. Watching the contraption go from point A to point B will teach kids chain reactions and spark their imagination for their own inventions.
- Build the contraption in just the right way, test it, and complete the challenge to trigger an amazing and hilarious chain reaction. For example, with the Castle Escape Challenge, kids use a drawbridge, a cannon and a dragon to escape from the castle.
- There are several sets to select from and build, including The Castle Escape Challenge, The Acrobat Challenge, The Fly Trap Challenge and the Speeding Car Challenge.
- Collect and connect all of the Rube Goldberg challenges to invent and create larger and funnier contraptions! Each sold separately.
- Age: 8+
- Canadian MSRP: $13.94-$27.90
- Available exclusively at Target
- GO Colours is a fun way to learn design skills early on. Inspired by real colors used in modern architecture, the large floor plates and easy “click and connect” components make this a perfect starter set for younger architects or to add a splash of color to other Arckit designs.
- Arckit is a creative, freeform model building system that lets you bring your ideas to life. Kids call it “Reality Minecraft” and adults call it “Legos for Grownups.” Arckit is a whole new way for everyone to spontaneously explore and build their ideas, opening up architectural design to everyone.
- Ages 10 +
- Canada MSRP: $89.99
- Available: at Deserres in May
3Doodler Start DoodleBlock Kits (WobbleWorks)
Simple Templates for Super Doodles! Beginner or seasoned Doodlers will love the creations possible with these fun, themed 3D templates.
- New additions to the hugely popular DoodleBlock Kit range for spring 2017 include 5 never-before seen DoodleBlock Kits, including Bugs & Insects, Wild Birds, Wild Animals, Dinosaurs, and Under the Sea.
- Includes: Each Kit comes with 2 packs of Eco-Plastic and 2 themed DoodleBlocks.
- Canada MSRP: $19.99
- Age: 8+
- Available: Toys “R” Us, Michaels
X7 Microlite (Odyssey Toys)
- Turn the sky into your playground with your very own advanced qudcopter that can dive, dip, circle an area, hover in place, and more. X-7 Microlite’s advanced design means kids can dominate the sky in no time.
- It’s easy to fly and takes off from any surface, even the palm of your hand. Designed with nighttime flying in mind, it’s fiber-optic LED lights make nocturnal flying easy and cool.
- The X7 Microlite can be flown indoor or outdoor, flies up to a 100-meter distance, and has beginner, intermediate and expert speeds.
- Age: 14+
- MSRP: $59.99
- Available: Amazon
Fubbles Monster Bubble Maker (Little Kids)
- Blow MONSTER bubbles with the Fubbles® Monster Bubble Maker! The Monster Bubble Wand expands so you can make bubbles as big as you!
- Just inflate the dip tray, pour one bottle of the included Monster Bubble Concentrate* into the dip tray, fill as directed with water, and you are ready to play!
- Wave through the air for MONSTER bubbles! Includes one wand, inflatable dip tray & 4 fl oz Monster Bubble Concentrate. Makes 28 fl oz of solution.
- Ages 3+
- MSRP: $9.99
- Available: Amazon
Scientific Explorers The Meteor Rocket (Alex Brands)
- The Meteor Rocket is a science experience kids will never forget.
- Go for a new altitude record by varying the proportions of baking soda and vinegar, try balsamic vinegar to see if it gives an extra “kick” to the fuel, change the fuselage length to test flight characteristics.
- The baking soda and vinegar formula starts a chemical reaction inside the patented fueling module, creating enormous power that blasts the Meteor over 100 feet into the sky! Rocket is 20 inches tall.
- This set includes a nose cone; foam tape; 2 red plastic film; a plastic bottle; 2 Balsa wood sheets; a rubber stopper; silver duralar; fin holder; fin template; clear tubing, clear rocket body and instructions.
- Age: 9+
- MSRP: $24.99
- Available: Target, Toys “R” Us